Help with the cost of living crisis
Homefinder UK is a nationwide housing mobility scheme that supports households who want or need to relocate to a different part of the country. Whether you are in temporary accommodation, facing homelessness or looking for a residence better suited to your family size and financial situation, we can help you move on.
We understand that the cost of living crisis can be overwhelming and we want to make sure that you get the help and support you need. We’ve compiled this guide to provide you with helpful information about the types of help that are available to you during the cost of living crisis and beyond.
Support with food costs
- Foodcycle offer completely free hot meals to people who need them on a weekly basis.
- Coordinated by Hubbub, the Community Fridge Network offers spaces that brings people together to eat, connect, learn new skills and reduce food waste. Find out where your nearest Community Fridge is and when it’s open at Hubbub.
- If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk through the Healthy Start Scheme.
Debt and budgeting
A higher cost of living can lead to financial difficulties and debt. There are organisations that can help you manage your debt and budgeting. These are either from the Government, your local authority or an independent charity. They offer free, confidential advice and can help you to come up with a plan to manage your debt and budgeting:
- Citizens Advice Bureau – A UK-wide, independent charity providing free, confidential advice and support on a range of topics, including debt and budgeting. They have a network of local offices and advice centres.
- StepChange – From debt management plans to debt relief orders and insolvency options. StepChange offer free, independent debt advice and budgeting support alongside a range of services.
- National Debtline – Provide online resources, telephone advice, and debt management plans for those struggling. Call at 0808 808 4000.
- Debt Advice Foundation – A network of local advice centres to provide advice, support and information on debt management and budgeting.
During the colder months, it's essential to have a warm place to stay. Many local authorities offer Warm Spaces, which are community buildings open to the public as places to keep warm, have a hot drink or shower. These spaces can be found in libraries, community centres, and other public buildings. Contact your local authority or you can use the Warm Spaces or Warm Welcome online platforms to find your local warm space.
Lightning Reach is an innovative social impact start up that was founded during the pandemic to help those in financial hardship access personalised financial support. Through their free online portal, you can quickly and securely find grants from charities, local councils, and more. To date, Lightning Reach has been able to help their users obtain £1.5m in grants, and have achieved a 94% user satisfaction rate. Learn more about Lightning Reach