Accessibility statement for Home Connections choice-based lettings websites
This website is run by Home Connections and we are committed to making the site accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change text size
- Zoom in up to 400% without the text spilling off the screen
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (tested using NVDA)
We’re also making the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
If you need help accessing this website, we have provided some information below. GOV.UK’s pages on accessibility also provide a good summary of available accessibility resources.
For further information on things like spell checking, word predicting software, keyboard stickers and voice recognition visit the BBC’s My Web My Way pages.
Translating this website
If you would like to view this website in another language we recommend using Google Translate - you can copy and paste the web address for this page into the URL field, then choose a language by selecting the drop down menu at the top-centre of the page.
How accessible is this website?
There is some content on this website that might not be accessible.
- Any audio and video published before 23 September 2020
- Maps may not resize correctly or be accessible by a screen reader - but we provide essential information in an accessible format like an address
- On the search and bid pages, the drop-down menus for filtering results are not read out by screen readers
- On the search page, the advanced search section can only be accessed using a mouse
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, contact the housing provider. We’ll consider your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
If you’re having problems with the site
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the whole site conforms to the latest standard, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 at level AA, this is an ongoing process. If you need information in a different format or are having problems accessing the website, contact the housing provider.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Homefinder UK is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due the non-compliances and exemptions listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
The following are areas of non-compliance:
- Some links open in new windows or not work. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 3.2.5 (Change on request). Broken links or suspicious link text fails WCAG 2.1 success criteria 2.4.4 and 2.4.9 (Link in purpose). We aim to this fixed by December 2020.
- On the search and bid pages, the drop-down menus fail WCAG 2.1 success criterion 3.3.2 (Labels or instructions). Home Connections will fix this by December 2020.
- On the search page, the advanced search section can only be accessed using a mouse which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.1.1. Home Connections will fix this by December 2020.
- On the available now property details page, the table is not read out correctly by screen readers which fails WCAG 2.1 success criteria 1.3.1 (Info & relationships) and 1.3.2 (Meaningful sequence). Home Connections, our parent company, will fix this by December 2020.
The following are exemptions:
- Third-party plugin for Google Maps. Google Maps may not be fully navigable by keyboard. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.1.1 (Keyboard navigation). Google Maps also have some colour contrast issues which fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.3. Home Connections has no control over the accessibility of this tool.
- Third-party plugin for Google Translate sometimes fails when text is resized. This sometimes fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.4 (Resize text) depending on the language and zoom used. Home Connections has no control over the accessibility of this tool.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix PDFs published on our Media Centre or third party advice PDFs that were not originally published by us.
Some other non-essential PDFs, created by Homefinder UK, are not fully accessible. We aim to fix this by December 2020.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are continually doing improvements to the website and plan to review all content for accessibility before it is added.
How we test this website
The online forms have been tested with several automated tools, as well as manually for keyboard and screen reader navigation. Home Connections will continue to advise what testing will be done. This website was last tested 15/10/2020.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 16th July 2020. It was last reviewed on 15th October 2020.